09:00 AM - January 11, 2022
We lost the shelter at Popple Depot due to fire. This happened on Thursday Jan 6th. It may have been an accident, but everything was good with the stove so it was an act of either negligence by the user or an act of vandalism. It was built with steel and basically fire proofed for things like the stove plus possible candle burning, so go figure.This was a brand new shelter installed last year donated by a few members and other donations. It is very frustrating to a volunteer organization that something like this has occurred. It is the third such incident for our club with these shelters going up in smoke. To say the least, this is very frustrating for the club. If anyone has any idea of who was in the vicinity by snowmobile on that day, please let us know.
Here is the good news: Our good member Marc Hannan, under his direction and a few others have a a plan of action in place to rebuild the shelter. Marc has already received cash donations from other members plus numerous sources of suppliers. If everything goes good they would like to have it up in place by this weekend. We will note at a later date all those who have donated. Right now the donations are still coming in. Another good reason to support the club via the Lottery. Marc's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/marc.hannan.1
On another note concerning shelters. With the amount of garbage (cans, plastic bottles and paper) strewn around shelters it gives you to wonder what and how people are thinking in this day and age. This our snowmobiling public. Who in the hell is going to pick up your garbage. It is amazing to think that these items are are carried into our trail system, but can't be carried out. PLEASE PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE AND DON"T LITTER.